Research from WRAP in 2009 found UK hotels, pubs, restaurants and quick service restaurants disposed of 600,000 tonnes of food waste.
- Some of this is made up of things like peelings, cores and bones, but the majority is (or once was) perfectly good food.
- Little by little all this waste adds up.
- WRAP research indicates that by not throwing away good food (and diverting food waste such as peelings, bones etc. to anaerobic digestion) pubs restaurants and hotels in the UK could save more than￡720 million a year.
Love Food Hate Waste
Almost half of all food wasted in the UK comes from our homes. Love Food Hate Waste raises awareness of the issue and offer simple, easy ways to take action.
WRAP’s Love Food Hate Waste campaign has carried out research into the behaviours, attitudes and barriers for consumers around the food wasted when eating away from home. As a result we have developed a Resource Pack to help you work with your customers to reduce plate waste.
What we found
- People who leave food don’t feel a sense of ownership or responsibility about the food they leave.
- The amount of food they get is considered to be out of their control and many people won’t ask for anything different.
By downloading resources you are agreeing to use them according to our terms and conditions.
These files may not be suitable for users of assistive technology.
PDF, 1.93 MB