27 May 2021
The UK Plastics Pact, managed by WRAP, has launched a new membership category to enable SMEs, start-up businesses and businesses that have smaller plastic packaging portfolios to join the ambitious programme.
Sixteen UK Plastics Pact Associate Members are now on board, representing businesses across a variety of sectors including: - Textiles, Clothing, Food & Drink, Retail and Packaging:
Abel & Cole
|AMC Natural Drinks|
Foyle Food Group
IG Design Group UK Limited
KellyDeli Company Ltd
|Mayborn Group Ltd||
Next Retail Ltd
|Nice Pak International Ltd||Purity Soft Drinks|
Wipak UK Ltd
The UK Plastics Pact Associate Membership opens up the benefits of the programme to a wider range of businesses, giving members early insight into upcoming policy developments, information on changes to the UK’s recycling infrastructure and guidance on producing packaging sustainably.
Membership allows closer interaction with fellow brands and companies, and support and guidance necessary to improve packaging portfolios in line with The UK Plastic Pact targets.
Helen Bird, Strategic Technical Manager, WRAP, said “Becoming an Associate Member will help any UK-based business that produces, processes or places plastic packaging onto the UK market to do so in ways that align them closely with the four key targets of The UK Plastics Pact. We know that many companies have wanted to join the Pact for a long time but didn’t meet the initial criteria to become a member – the new Associate Membership scheme opens the door to many more and I encourage more businesses to contact WRAP, and become part of the plastics solution.”
The benefits of becoming an Associate Member include:
- regular updates on work currently undertaken within each target area
- guidance on embedding the Pact targets into their business
- guidance on reviewing their packaging portfolio, identifying challenges within the business, including reporting and self-assessment support
- exclusive access to a collaborative online forum including the full Associate Membership and WRAP’s UK Plastics Pact team
- additional guidance and webinars on reports published as well as regular updates from the team.
What Associate Members say:
Fiona Mclachlan, Group Environmental Manager, Nice-Pak
“The UK Plastics Pact’s Associate Membership category has enabled Nice-Pak to ensure that what we place on the UK market contributes to the overall goal to create a circular economy for plastics in line with the Ellen MacArthur Foundation’s New Plastics Economy targets. Being an Associate Member gives us the opportunity to be closer to the work being done by our peers who already sit within The Pact and provides us with insight into upcoming policy, changes to the UK’s recycling infrastructure, and guidance on how to produce packaging sustainably”.
Stefanie Sahmel, Head of Sustainability Abel & Cole
“We’re very pleased to be an Associate Member of the UK Plastics Pact, supporting our strong commitment to reducing plastic packaging. The membership gives us great insight into what’s happening in the marketplace, information on upcoming, relevant events and access to expert advice when we need it”.
Businesses that wish to find out more about becoming an Associate Member of The UK Plastics Pact should email UKPlasticsPact@wrap.org.uk .
Notes to Editor
- The UK Plastics Pact is the first such initiative in the world working to create a circular economy for plastics. It brings together businesses from across the entire plastics value chain with UK governments and NGOs to tackle plastic waste. The Pact’s annual report can be found here: https://www.wrap.org.uk/resources/report/uk-plastics-pact-annual-report-2019-20. Find out more about The UK Plastics Pact: http://www.wrap.org.uk/content/the-uk-plastics-pact
- Target 1 – Eliminate problematic or unnecessary single-use plastic packaging through redesign, innovation or alternative (re-use) delivery models:
- Target 2 – 100% of plastic packaging to be reusable, recyclable or compostable:
- Target 3 – 70% of plastic packaging effectively recycled or composted:
- Target 4 – 30% average recycled content across all plastic packaging:
- WRAP is a global NGO based in the UK. It is one of the UK’s top 5 environmental charities and works with governments, businesses and individuals to ensure that the world’s natural resources are used sustainably. It is the charity leading The UK Plastics Pact (a world first) as well as Love Food Hate Waste, the Courtauld Commitment, the Sustainable Clothing Action Plan, Textiles 2030 and Recycle Now. WRAP works collaboratively and develops and delivers evidence-based, impactful solutions to reduce the environmental cost of the food we eat, the clothes we wear and the plastic packaging we use. Founded in 2000 in the UK, WRAP now works around the world and is a Global Alliance Partner of The Royal Foundation’s Earthshot Prize.
- Read Our Plan for a Sustainable Planet. Follow our citizen campaigns on Instagram: Love Food Hate Waste @lfhw_uk Recycle Now @recyclenow_uk Wasting Food: It’s Out Of Date @OutOfDateUK Wales Recycles @WalesRecycles Clear on Plastics @ClearOnPlastics Love Your Clothes @LoveYourClothes_UK
For further information or to request an interview: