Working with the Welsh Government, WRAP Cymru is working to maximise the redistribution of surplus food during production and in the supply chain.
One of the key areas where surplus food can be redistributed to local organisations is from the back of retail stores. WRAP Cymru has partnered with a Sainsbury’s in Cardiff to undertake a back-of-store pilot project working with two local charities that can make use of the food surplus.
On this webpage you will find access to:
- A case study summarising how partnerships were formed between the retailer and charities, barriers to the process, and the benefits to both retailers and charities
- A “How to” guide for charities, detailing how charities can set up back-of-store surplus food projects with local supermarkets or food stores
- A “How to” guide for retailers, which provides information on how food retailers can benefit from and set-up a back-of-store surplus food collection
- A Service Level Agreement template, which sets out the terms and conditions for the partnership which is set up between the retailer and charity
- A Summary Process and Contact Details for the Collection of Surplus Food template, which provides an overview of the process and ensures contact details of both the charity and the retailer is in place at the beginning of the project. This is essential as the WRAP Cymru pilot identified effective communication being key to the success of the partnership
- A Recording of Weights template, to be used if the retailer and/or charity partner wish to monitor the amount of food collected each day to assess the success of the project
- Example agendas for meetings with charities and retailers to help the project kick off successfully
By downloading resources you are agreeing to use them according to our terms and conditions.
These files may not be suitable for users of assistive technology.
WRAP-Our guiding principles for redistributing surplus food - v5 (2).pdf
PDF, 185.96 KB
WRAP-09 - Example agenda - meeting with retailer.pdf
PDF, 44.64 KB
WRAP-08 - Example agenda - inception meeting.pdf
PDF, 117.44 KB
WRAP-07-Recording of Weights.pdf
PDF, 48.06 KB
WRAP-03-Charities guide - new case study format.pdf
PDF, 396.2 KB
WRAP-04-Retailers guide - new case study format.pdf
PDF, 377.4 KB
WRAP-06-Summary Process and Contact Details for the Collection of Surplus Food.pdf
PDF, 189.64 KB
WRAP-02-Sainsbury's Case Study.pdf
PDF, 214.41 KB
WRAP-05-Service Level Agreement.pdf
PDF, 142.51 KB