A Roadmap Towards Water Security for Food and Drink Supply
Protecting critical water resources for food supply, for nature, and for local communities.
The Courtauld 2030 Water Roadmap ('A Roadmap towards Water Security for Food & Drink Supply') sets out a vision and key pathways to address the challenges we collectively face in protecting critical water resources for food supply, for nature and for local communities.
- It is a joint vision for the outcome we are seeking across the UK food & drink industry as a whole: to deliver the Courtauld Commitment 2030 water target that 50% of the UK’s fresh food is sourced from areas with sustainable water management.
- The Courtauld 2030 Water Roadmap also aims to deliver an important contribution towards UN Sustainable Development Goal 6 (availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all), as well as protecting and restoring biodiversity, and contributing to Net Zero goals through the implementation of nature-based solutions.
By supporting the Water Roadmap, businesses are signing up to:
- Follow WWF’s Water Stewardship Ladder;
- Set water-related targets for their own direct business operations and to help reduce water risk in their supply chain;
- Carry out supply chain water risk mapping using the WWF Water Risk Filter;
- Participate in collective action projects where appropriate, in the UK and/or overseas (this will normally involve a minimum annual contribution to project costs); and
- Report annually on progress against these activities.
24 November 2021