New ways to reduce and prevent litter
WRAP managed the Litter Innovation Fund, a £450,000 programme, funded by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) and the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG).
Scope and aim of the Fund
- The overall aim of the programme is to find new ways of reducing and preventing litter/littering through new methods and interventions, that have not been tried and tested before.
- The programme has awarded small grants of up to £10,000 to support innovative research projects located in England, that have the potential to be scaled up or replicated more widely.
- Grant recipients have been required to contribute a minimum of 10% match funding, either in-kind or monetary, and deliver their projects within six months of receipt of the grant funding.
Applications were invited from organisations based in England:
- Community Interest Company (CIC)
- Industrial Provident Society (IPS) or co-operatives
- Local Authorities (including principle authorities, parish, and/or town councils)
- National Park Authorities
- Broads Authorities
- Registered Social Landlords
- Development trust
- Faith group
- Educational institutions
- Scouts, Guides and National Citizen Service
- Business - Small to medium enterprises (SMEs) e.g. retail, food chains, event management etc.
Successful Grant Awards
Round 1 of funding (2018)
|Bristol City Council||Street litter||£10,000|
|Herefordshire Council||Street litter - binfrastructure||£9,050|
|Hubbub Foundation||Litter in sports stadium||£9,650|
|Keep Britain Tidy||Street litter - binfrastructure||£9,873|
|Keep Britain Tidy||Street litter - night time economy||£9,974|
|Keep Britain Tidy||Dog fouling||£9,952|
|Keep Britain Tidy||Street litter - tidy littering||£9,918|
|Medway Council||Street litter - transport interchange||£10,000|
|North West Kent Countryside Partnership||Street litter - waterways||£2,380|
|Selby District Council||Roadside litter||£4,152|
|St Edmundsbury Council||Roadside litter||£10,000|
|Teignbridge Council||Beach litter||£8,000|
|Thames21 Ltd||Street litter - waterways||£9,500|
The following organisations have been offered a Litter Innovation Fund Grant Award.
|GreenSeas Trust||Coastal litter - binfrastructure||£10,000|
|Litter Free Dorset hosted in Dorset Council||Events litter||£8,378|
|Groundwork Wakefield||Street litter - litter hub||£10,000|
|Community Foundation Calderdale||Street litter - binfrastructure||£9,680|
|Oldham Council||Street litter - binfrastrcuture||£10,000|
|bBits - Bin Finder||Street litter - digital||£10,000|
|Petroc||Street litter - digital||£9,390|
|Middlesex University||Street litter - community engagement||£7,022|
|Fenland District Council||Roadsite litter - haulage industry||£4,868|
|Bedford Borough Council||Street litter - enviro-hubs||£9,020|
|Firvale Community Hub||Street litter - community engagement||£8,555|
|Leicester City Council||Street litter - digital||£10,000|
|Education Futures Trust||Street litter - community engagement||£9,994|
|Huntingdonshire District Council||Roadside litter - haulage industry||£9,674|
|Up Our Street||Street litter - community engagement||