Reducing greenhouse gas emissions and building a resilient circular economy
WRAP works with partners and stakeholders in Northern Ireland to bring about the effective resources and waste systems needed to deliver against the targets committed to under the EU Circular Economy Package and towards Net Zero Carbon, supporting the development and implementation of policy changes needed to achieve this.
WRAP’s focus in Northern Ireland is on reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions through tackling food waste and avoiding landfill and creating value from recovered and recycled materials within a circular economy.
Our Northern Ireland team, based in Belfast, together with skills and knowledge from across WRAP, supports the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) in delivering its Programme for Government, statutory and policy commitments towards meeting climate change and environmental targets.
We work closely with government departments, local authorities, agencies, NGOs and commercial organisations towards:
- increasing materials resource efficiency, capturing quality recycled materials
- supporting the development of a circular economy
- informing the development of evidence-based policy
- helping citizens embrace a more sustainable lifestyle through citizen behaviour change, and
- reducing the greenhouse gas impact from agri-food production.