There are a number of potential barriers which prevent householders participating in re-use.
These including the following:
- Entrenched disposal habits
- Activities can be seen as time consuming
- Lack of knowledge about services available
- Lack of knowledge about where to donate
- Lack of knowledge about where the activities take place
- Lack of facilities for donation
- Re-used items may be seen as inferior products, with little guarantee of reliability
- Image-conscious consumers may not want to buy second-hand goods or exchange items
- Stigma of using someone’s old items.