The WRAP ‘Love Your Clothes’ campaign aims to raise awareness of the value of clothes and encourage people to make the most of the clothes they already have. The campaign has been developed as part of the Sustainable Clothing Action Plan.
- Changes to the way the UK supplies, uses and disposes of clothing could reduce the carbon, water and waste footprints of clothing consumption by 10-20% each.
- Around 30% of clothing in wardrobes has not been worn for at least a year.
- Four in five people own at least some clothes that have not been worn because they no longer fit or need altering.
- Over half of women and nearly a quarter of men expressed an interest in learning more about how to repair clothes.
Love Your Clothes
The Love Your Clothes website provides information and tips to help people think about the way they purchase, use and dispose of clothes. Advice begins at the purchasing stage and goes through to the disposal stage including options for re-using and recycling items.
The website is aimed at householders and provides easy and practical tips to:
- make their clothes last longer;
- reduce the environmental impact of laundering their clothes;
- deal with unwanted clothes; and
- make the most of their wardrobe.
Local authorities can direct their residents to the website and also use it as a source of content for any communications campaigns. The WRAP partners website includes logos, leaflets and other materials which can be used to support a Love Your Clothes campaign.