A consistent methodology for businesses to measure and track progress in reducing supply chain greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.
Working closely with businesses, governments, academics and expert bodies to respond to an urgent need for clarity and direction for UK businesses, WRAP has consulted widely with the food and drink sector, including Courtauld 2030 signatories, to develop the Scope 3 GHG Measurement and Reporting Protocols for Food and Drink Businesses – along with supporting resources that any business can use, with minimum training.
The new resources include:
- Scope 3 Measurement & Reporting Protocols for UK Food & Drink businesses. This is the full guidance, which builds on existing globally accepted guidance (Greenhouse Gas Protocol and Science Based Targets Initiative) and sector-specific guidance – focusing on ‘purchased goods’ specifically. The Protocols also provide guidance on determining the key organisational hotspots for GHG emissions, judging data needs, tracking & reporting on progress.
- Scope 3 Measurement & Reporting Protocols for UK Food & Drink businesses – summary version. This is an at-a-glance summary, signposting the key information that businesses need to take action.
- Supplier Product Footprint Questionnaires. Recommended questions for businesses to ask supply chains when requesting data.
- An Emission Factor Datasheet is under peer review and will be published after this process.
The Protocols include the following business benefits:
- A consistent methodology for measuring and tracking progress in reducing supply chain emissions. This will inform decision-making and help provide continuity across the industry.
- Food producers will also receive more consistent data asks from their customers, which will cut the cost and effort of measuring and managing emissions.
A market-first, the Protocols will mean faster progression towards achieving the Courtauld 2030 GHG target of delivering a 50% absolute reduction in GHG emissions associated with food and drink consumed in the UK by 2030 (against a 2015 baseline). Leading Courtauld 2030 signatory businesses are already testing the Protocols during its pilot phase (from May 2022).
By downloading resources you are agreeing to use them according to our terms and conditions.
These files may not be suitable for users of assistive technology.
Scope 3 GHG Measurement and Reporting Protocols for Food and Drink - summary guide
PDF, 964.58 KB
Scope 3 GHG Measurement and Reporting Protocols for Food and Drink: full guidance
PDF, 1.9 MB
Supplier Product Footprint Questionnaires - All Product Types
VND.OPENXMLFORMATS-OFFICEDOCUMENT.SPREADSHEETML.SHEET, 756.99 KB
Supplier Product Footprint Questionnaires - Meat, Warm Water Prawns, Cheese, Tomatoes, Bananas, Coffee
VND.OPENXMLFORMATS-OFFICEDOCUMENT.SPREADSHEETML.SHEET, 906.2 KB