We are seeking a new Chair for the recently established WRAP APAC, who will play a key role to support our leadership team to cement and grow this regional operation, while also sitting on the global WRAP board.
This individual will be a proven board executive, combining relevant sector networks and expertise, with the ability to open doors to potential revenue or funding streams for WRAP APAC, across the region. They will assure sound governance and regulatory compliance for WRAP APAC operations, whilst also being an active contributor to the WRAP global board.
Working closely with the regional leadership team you will be able to display significant credibility in circles relevant to WRAP’s mission for sustainability and the circular economy, adding weight and profile to our agenda. You will bring the know-how to grow multi-country operations and cultivate successful collaborative partnerships. We are seeking someone with previous experience as a Chair, an extensive, relevant network, and a background working within an NGO or associated industry such as Food, Plastics & Packaging, Textiles, and the circular economy.
Applicants should be living in Australia or Indonesia, and able to commit an anticipated one day/month to WRAP. The global Board typically meets four times a year and the WRAP APAC Chair will be invited to join virtually; one meeting will focus on strategy and is anticipated as in person in UK. The WRAP APAC Chair will be expected to commit further time to participation to global Board work and in engaging with Board Directors, senior leadership and the external stakeholders of WRAP. There is an anticipated four-year term of office, which can be renewed up to two times by approval of the Board.
- To provide strategic leadership to WRAP APAC in collaboration with the leadership team and regional Board, fostering an effective relationship between both teams which is centred on honesty, trust, transparency and the strong understanding of WRAP’s goals.
- To ensure the financial and wider sustainability of WRAP APAC and to ensure excellent governance of and within WRAP, including serving on Sub-Committees as required.
- To inspire the Board, Leadership team, and those within and outside WRAP APAC through the promotion of the organization's vision, mission and values.
- To oversee the regional delivery of the WRAP APAC 12-month strategic plan for a sustainable planet and to lead the development of the strategic direction with a particular focus on WRAP APAC’s ability to increase the scale of its impact through enhancing its regional position and reputation, mobilising resources and influencing change.
- Plan and chair future meetings of the regional Board of Directors effectively and efficiently, bringing impartiality and objectivity to the decision-making process. Promoting consistency, focus and collaborative behaviours amongst the Board, to aid clear decision making; equity of influence and contribution; the development of consensus; checking understanding and in managing any disagreement with respect.
- Working in conjunction with the WRAP Executive to set and assess performance objectives for the APAC senior leadership team.
- Act as an ambassador for our work and our organization, to support the growth and visibility of the organization, through mobilizing networks and senior-level external representation.
- As appropriate and in partnership with the leadership team, to maintain close relationships with external stakeholders in the APAC region and international governments, civil society organizations, funders, business leaders and other key influencers. You will help maintain close relationships with our key partners in the region.
What we’re looking for
- Previous Chair and CEO (or equivalent level) experience, together with a proven track record of building and growing a multi-country organization within the APAC region. Ability both to lead the WRAP APAC Board and contribute to the global WRAP Board as we transform into a global NGO.
- A good understanding of the social, economic and political context in which WRAP APAC works and a willingness to further develop this understanding.
- Previous experience working on circular practices in associated business industries (e.g. Food, Plastics & Packaging, Textiles, and the broader circular economy), or relevant NGO’s, is strongly preferred.
- Excellent networking with a record of achievement and willingness to engage with a broad range of senior contacts for the benefit of WRAP; ability to ‘open doors’ for WRAP in the APAC region.
- A track record of fostering circular economy practices in the APAC region, preferably related to food, plastics & packaging or textiles/fashion.
- The ability to build a strong relationship of trust and collaboration with the WRAP APAC senior leadership team, with open communication and effective strategy creation.
- Commitment to the importance of diversity.
- Ability to effectively chair a diverse regional Board in governing a growing international organization, able to help guide the international Board as our governance evolves.
- An understanding of, and ability to promote, effective governance practices.
- Personal credibility: a natural communicator able to inspire audiences with clear and compelling messages about WRAP APAC, and able to be an ambassador for the organisation and its work and help win funding.
- The confidence and ability to lead the regional Board and evaluate its performance.
- Time and enthusiasm to dedicate to the role. The commitment to prepare for and attend all Board meetings each year, to represent the organisation regularly and to build a strong relationship of trust with the Leadership on open communication.
Terms of appointment
- Remuneration: The role of Chair does not attract any financial remuneration, although reasonable expenses may be claimed.
- Location: Based in Australia or Indonesia.
- Term: There is typically a four-year term of office for these roles, which can be renewed once by approval of the Board of Trustees.
- Time commitment: The global Board typically meets four times a year, with the Trustee expected to commit to further time to participate in a Committee, and to engage with the senior leadership and the external stakeholders of WRAP. The overall time commitment is expected to be in the region of around one day a month on average, possibly a little more for regional Chairs.
WRAP is committed to diversity and welcomes applicants irrespective of religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital status, disability or race. Find out more about our culture.
Our recruitment process
We will commence the Chair processes for WRAP APAC and WRAP Americas late January, inviting applications and offering preliminary discussions during February.
We expect first stage interviews to take place early in March. Second interviews are anticipated in mid/late March with a panel including our Global Chair and CEO, with appointments confirmed soon after.
How to apply
For each role, we would request the following:
- A covering statement outlining your motive to apply, and highlighting the skills and experience you bring to support your application.
- A CV or short biog highlighting your relevant experience and skills.
Applications should be sent in writing to Tom Godber, however we want to make sure the application process is as inclusive and accessible as possible, so if you would prefer to submit a video application instead, please let Tom know and we will send a link to enable this.
If you have any questions, please contact Tom Godber who will be happy to arrange a time to speak with you: [email protected].